Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Upin & Ipin is a Malaysian television series of animated shorts produced by Les' Copaque Production, which features the life and adventures of the eponymous twin brothers in a fictional Malaysian kampung. Originally a side project for the blockbuster animated film Geng: The Adventure Begins, Upin & Ipin was introduced on TV9 in 13 September 2007 as a six-episode Ramadan/Eid special, to instil significance of the Islamic holy month amongst children. To date, the series has reached its fourth season, including another Ramadan special season in 2008, and, season three onwards, the year-long, more general
Upin and Ipin are five-year-old Malay twins who and their elder sister Ros and grandmother Uda (whom they call Opah) in a kampung house in Kampung Durian Runtuh. They have lost their parents in their infancy. Upin and Ipin study in the village's Tadika Mesra (Kindergarten ), where they with a group of classmates, including the adorable and right-thinking Mei Mei, a joker and poetic Jarjit Singh, the clumsy and short-tempered Ehsan, an easygoing and sarcastic Fizi (Ehsan's cousin), and an entrepreneual and meticulous Mail.
The headman of Kampung Durian Runtuh is Isnin bin Khamis, better known as Tok Dalang Ranggi, the wayang kulit champion. Tok Dalang keeps a cluster of rambutan trees for commercial purposes, and a rooster named "Rembo". Among the village's other notable residents are Muthu, owner of the village's only food stall who lives with his animal whisperer son Rajoo and pet steer Sapy; Salleh (Sally), a transgender-apparent who owns a mobile library; and Ah Tong, a strident-voiced vegetable farmer. A new character was later added in the series who is an Indonesian girl named Susanti who moved in with her family.
Season 1 (2007)Edit
The first season of Upin & Ipin was aired on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 7.30 pm, in conjunction with Ramadan and Aidilfitri, which tells of the twins Upin and Ipin on their first fasting months. The first four shorts debuted early in the holy months, followed by repeats from 22 September to 11 October, finally ending with two final episodes premiering on Hari Raya itself. This series bore away the Best Animation award in the 2007 Kuala Lumpur International Film Festival.
- Ep 1 - Esok Puasa (Let's Fast Tomorrow)
- Ep 2 - Dugaan (The Test)
- Ep 3 - Nikmat (Satisfaction)
- Ep 4 - Terawih (Prayer)
- Ep 5 - Esok Raya (Tomorrow Raya)
- Ep 6 - Hari Raya (Raya)
Season 2 (2008)Edit
The second series, under its full title Upin & Ipin: Setahun Kemudian, went on air in conjunction with Ramadan again, with 12 new episodes, the first six of which were aired and repeated on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, 7.00 pm throughout Ramadan while the other six premiered for Hari Raya from 1 till 6 of Shawal. This season was sponsored by Colgate-Palmolive Malaysia via its Colgate Kayu Sugi toothpaste.
- Ep 7 - Tadika (Pre-School)
- Ep 8 - Anak Bulan (New Moon)
- Ep 9 - Adat (Traditions)
- Ep 10 - Tamak (Greed)
- Ep 11 - Lailatul Qadr
- Ep 12 - Kisah & Tauladan (Tales and Lessons)
- Ep 13 - Sayang Kak Ros (Love Kak Ros)
- Ep 14 - Ketupat
- Ep 15 - Zakat Fitrah (Raya Offering)
- Ep 16 - Malam Syahdu (Night Syahdu)
- Ep 17 - Pagi Raya (Raya Morning)
- Ep 18 - Berkat (Blessings)
Season 3 (2009)Edit
Under the new full title Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan, a third season of the series premiered on TV9 on 2 February 2009, with each episode lasting up to seven minutes. As a year-long production season, it had frequent in-season breaks filled by repeats, and also experienced some schedule changes. From 14 May, the TV series received major sponsorship from TM, which placed its brand on the show to this date. In the year-end school break season, it became apparent that new episodes are strategically debuted on school holidays, with new episodes premiering on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 5.30 pm (repeats for the rest of the week) throughout the six-week holiday season. This is also the first season of Upin & Ipin for the international market, airing on Disney Channel Asia beginning 15 November 2009 with dubs in English (the official dub, as the credits and episode titles are in English as well), Mandarin and other languages.
- Ep 1 - Air Kolah, Air Laut (Between The Pool & The Seven Seas)
(May have served as a story setting episode for the Journey to Treasure Island story)
- Ep 2 - Basikal Baru (New Bikes)
- Ep 3 - Berkebun (Gardening)
- Ep 4 - Gosok Jangan Tak Gosok (Brush It)
- Ep 5 - Kisah Dua Malam (A Tale of Two Nights)
- Ep 6 - Kembara ke Pulau Harta Karun (The Journey to the Treasure Island)
Part 1 - 3 (aired as Ep 6)
Part 4 - 6 (aired after Ep 14)
Part 7 - 8 (aired after Ep 16 as Season finale for 2009; left as a cliff hanger; to be continued in Season 6)
- Ep 7 - Istimewa Hari Ibu (Mother's Day Special)
- Ep 8 - Kami 1Malaysia (We Are 1 Malaysia)
- Ep 9 - Seronoknya Membaca (Reading is Fun)
- Ep 10 - Berpuasa Bersama Kawan Baru (Fasting with New Friend)
- Ep 11 - Selamat Menyambut Lebaran (Happy Eid-ul-Fitr)
- Ep 12 - Upin, Ipin & Apin
- Ep 13 - Jejak Rembo (Rembo's Trail)
- Ep 14 - Diri Bersih Badan Sihat (Keep Clean, Stay Healthy)
- Ep 15 - Ambil Galah Tolong Tunjukkan (Guide Me)
- Ep 16 - Sapy, oh Sapy!
Season 4 (2010)Edit
Season four of Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-kawan debuted on TV9 on 15 March 2010 with the episode "Juara Kampung (Part 1)", with a brand new opening sequence and color pencil and exercise book-themed title card. The main focus on this season is as a tribute to sports, as it was developed in a year full of sport events. Season 4 was co-sponsored by TM.
- Ep 1 - Juara Kampung (The Village Champion)
- Ep 2 - Anak Harimau (The Tiger Cubs)
- Ep 3 - Ramadhan Kembali Lagi (Ramadhan return)
- Ep 4 - Menjelang Syawal (Before Syawal)
- Ep 5 - Bila Besar Nanti (When I Grow Up)
- Ep 6 - Rasa Sayang (Feel Love)
- Ep 7 - Kisah Raja Pemburu (Tales of The Hunter King)
- Ep 8 - Kisah Pisang & Cengkerang (Tales of Bananas & Shells)
- Ep 9 - Kenangan Manis (Sweet Memories)
- Ep 10 - Lama Tapi Berharga (Old Is Gold)
- Ep 11 - Demi Metromillenium (For Metromillenium)
Season 5 (2011)Edit
Season 5 debuted on TV9 on the 12th of March 2011 with the episode "Belajar Lagi". As with previous seasons it opens with a new sequence, now based on a papercraft theme. This season airs every Saturday night at 6:30pm.
- Ep 1 - Belajar Lagi..? (Study Again..?)
- Ep 2 - Terbang Tinggi-Tinggi (Fly Higher)
- Ep 3 - Tersentuh Hati (Heart Touching)
- Ep 4 - Ikhlas dari Hati (Sincerely From Our Heart)
- Ep 5 - Kuih untuk Opah (Cake For Opah)
- Ep 6 - Rindu Opah (We Miss You Opah)
- Ep 7 - Sakit Ke? (Does It Hurt?)
- Ep 8 - Garang ke Sayang? (Scare or Care?)
- Ep 9 - Sedia.... Mula! (Ready... Go!)
- Ep 10 - Gelapnya... (So Dark...)
- Ep 11 - Jari Jemari Salleh (Wedding Planner Sally)
- Ep 12 - Cerita Kami (Our Story)
- Ep 13 - Metrobot, Bergabung! (Metrobots, Combine!)
Season 6 (2012)Edit
Season 6 aired every Sunday at 6pm on TV9.
- Ep 1 - Mainan Baru (New toys)
- Ep 2 - Tangkap Dia! (Catch It!)
- Ep 3 - Kembara ke Pulau Harta Karun (Journey to the Treasure Island)
Part 9 - 11 (end of story, continuation from a cliff hanger left in Season 3)
- Ep 4 - Kembara Kecil-Kecilan (Little Adventure)
- Ep 5 - Terima Kasih Cikgu! (Thank You Very Much, Teacher!)
- Ep 6 - Iqra'
- Ep 7 - Rasai Kemenangan (Feeling the Success)
- Ep 8 - Bulan Hantu (Ghost Night)
- Ep 9 - Hari Misteri (A Mysterious Day)
- Ep 10 - Raja Buah (King of Fruit)
- Ep 11 - Cari & Simpan (Find & Collect)
- Ep 12 - Kenangan Mengusik Jiwa (Heart Touching Memories)
- Ep 13 - Taman Mesra (A Friendly Garden)
- Ep 14 - Sedia Menyelamat (Ready For Action!)
Season 7 (2013)Edit
Upin and Ipin will start their fun story with the Chinese New Year story as the seventh season's premier. The episodes air on Saturday evenings at 6:30pm. The first episode was scheduled to air on 2nd September 2013, but due to technical problems the first episode have been pushed to 9th September 2013.
- Ep 1 - Gong Xi Fa Cai!
- Ep 2 - Gigi Susu (Milk Teeth)
- Ep 3 - Nenek Si Bongkok Tiga (A fake-hipped Grandmother)
- Ep 4 - Usahawan Muda (Young Entrepreneurs)
- Ep 5 - Sahabat Selamanya (Friends Forever)
- Ep 6 - Dugaan Ramadhan (Challengers during Fasting)
- Ep 7 - Riang Raya
- Ep 8 - Daun Hijau (Green Leaves)
In a harmonious village called " Kampung Durian Runtuh"
- Upin & Ipin DVD and VCD volumes 1-6 were distributed in Malaysia by Music Valley.
- Volume 7 - 11 were distributed by Sony Music.
- Volume 12 and above are distributed by Music Valley.
|Upin & Ipin Vol. 1||2007||
|Upin & Ipin: Setahun Kemudian Vol. 2||2008||
|Upin & Ipin: Setahun Kemudian Vol. 3||2008||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 4||2009||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 5||2009||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 6||2009||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 7||2010||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 8||2010||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 9||2010||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 10||2010||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 11||2010||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 12||2011||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 13||2011||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 14||2011||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 15||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 16||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 17||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 18||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 19||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 20||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 21||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 22||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 23||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 24||2012||
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 25||2013||
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Special Edition||2013||
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 26||2013||
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 27||2013||
Since December 2009, Upin & Ipin have been adapted into a monthly comic magazine series, aptly titled Majalah Komik Upin & Ipin to be circulated all over Malaysia, published by Nyla Sdn Bhd. Targeted at young readers, the magazine features screenshot comics of the Upin & Ipin TV series and the Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula film, voice actor and production crew profiles, and learning and activity sections.
Reception and influenceEdit
The Upin & Ipin franchise has wielded its influence in countries of the Malay archipelago, notably in Malaysia and Indonesia which share linguistic and cultural similarities. Its first season landed its first award, for Best Animation in KLIFF 2007.
While season two was on air on Ramadan 2008, it was reportedly watched by 1.5 million viewers on TV9, making it the second most-watched animated series on all of Malaysian television, right behind Doraemon (1.6 mil), yet ahead of SpongeBob SquarePants (800,000). The popularity of Upin & Ipin could have attributed to the commercial success of Malaysia's first CGI-animated feature film, Geng: The Adventure Begins (2009), which featured the twin characters Upin and Ipin, propelling it into the RM 6.31 million mark throughout its seven-week run in Malaysian cinemas as one of the highest-grossing Malay-language films in history.
As the third season reaches its conclusion in late 2009, TV9 reports that Upin & Ipin was viewed by 1.6 million, making it the second most-viewed programme on the channel, just behind the free TV premiere of Geng which was watched by 2.45 million (scoring TVR 12.8).
Indonesia has been the most obvious export market for Upin & Ipin. In 2009, MNCTV which airs the series in the republic reported a TVR of 10.5. Upin & Ipin has also been praised by the Indonesian press; for instance, Fadil Abidin for Analisa who remarked on the vastness of moral content and Islamic values, such as respect for those of different ethnic or religious backgrounds, in a communal setting consisting not only of Malays, Chinese and Indian Malaysians, but also Indonesians.
In March 2010, as the Balinese Hindu community prepare for Nyepi, images of ogoh-ogoh (demonic effigies used for the famed ngrupuk ritual on the eve of Nyepi) which largely resemble Upin & Ipin were exposed on Indonesian media. The effigy reportedly cost 4 million rupiah.==Awards==
- 2007 Kuala Lumpur International Filem Festival
- Animasi Terbaik
- 2009 Shout! Awards
- Best On-Screen Chemistry
- NEF-Awani ICT Awards 2010
- NEF-Awani Tun Dr Mahathir Award
- The Brandlaureate Awards 2010
- Best Brands in Animation
- Anugerah Bintang Popular Berita Harian 2012
- The Most Popular Local Animated Character
- UNICEF Malaysia's National Ambassadors 2013 
- ↑ Upin & Ipin, Les Copaque, 4 September 2007. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ↑ Series Upin & Ipin Won in KLIFF 2007!!, Les Copaque, 30 November 2007. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ↑ Upin & Ipin - Setahun Kemudian di TV9, Les Copaque, 31 August 2008. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ↑ Upin & Ipin edisi Syawal tayangan hari raya, Les Copaque, 28 September 2008. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ↑ promo:The launch of COLGATE Kayu Sugi Charity Campaign, Malaysia Celebrity News Online, 16 Okt 2008. Accessed 8 March 2010.
- ↑ Saksikan Upin & Ipin : Dan Kawan-Kawan , Les Copaque, 30 January 2009. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ↑ Masa Siaran Baru Upin & Ipin di TV9, 11 May 2009. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ↑ , 14 June 2010, Accessed 7 April 2011.
- ↑ http://www.lescopaque.com/store/?cur=catalog/product&id=5&pid=71&title=DVD_Volume_12
- ↑ Upin & Ipin: Majalah Komik Upin & Ipin dipasaran. Accessed 27 March 2010.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Budiey Isma. "Keputusan Pemenang KL International Film Festival KLIFF 07", Sensasi Selebriti, 3 December 2007. Dicapai pada 8 January 2010.
- ↑ Sy Mussaddad Mahdi. "Apabila Upin dan Ipin masuk pawagam", Utusan Malaysia, 8 February 2009. Dicapai pada 16 March 2010.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Lee Wei Lian. "Jobless four years ago, three young filmmakers shake up box office", The Malaysian Insider, 15 November 2009. Dicapai pada 9 January 2010.
- ↑ SYABAS LES' COPAQUE (.jpg poster), LCP Blog!, 24 December 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- ↑ Rating Upin & Ipin di Indonesia, LCP Blog!, 2 Sep 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010. LCP once mistook the figure as 10.5 million viewers.
- ↑ Fadil Abidin. "Upin dan Ipin vs Acara Anak di Televisi Kita", Analisa. Dicapai pada 16 Mac 2010. “sangat baik ditonton karena sarat edukasi dengan nuansa yang Islami, menghormati teman-teman lain yang berbeda suku dan agama sehingga tokoh-tokoh di dalamnya ada orang Melayu, China dan Tamil bahkan orang Indonesia.”
- ↑ Arry Anggadha. "Upin dan Ipin Ramaikan Perayaan Nyepi", VIVAnews, 7 March 2010. Dicapai pada 16 March 2010.
- ↑ Shamala Velu. "Shout to the top", The Star, 21 July 2009. Dicapai pada Shout to the top.
- ↑ "LICT important in NEM aspiration", Borneo Post Online, 25 March 2011. Dicapai pada 5 April 2011.
- ↑ The BrandLaureate Awards., BrandLaureate Awards, 6 April 2011.
- ↑ Template:Citation/core
- Upin & Ipin official website
- Upin & Ipin at Friendster
- Upin & Ipin at Facebook
- Disney Channel Asia-Upin and Ipin